Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Things I cannot say or respond to on Facebook.


1. "I'm glad 100% of my faith and trust is in God and not man."
This particular quote stands in for a litany of others, some fairly tame, and others begging us to "pray for America" as if we're about to enter nuclear war. 

First of all, many people don't think I'm very religious. That's a fair assessment, because I don't subscribe to conventional Christian doctrine. I disagree with so many of the restrictive, hateful beliefs Christianity promotes- or rather, that Christians justify with their faith.  However, if you actually get to know me, I have a fairly complex and well-thought out set of beliefs that I would be happy to talk to you about. I assure all of you that I did pray- and pray hard- about this election. The aspects of Christianity I do believe in, and believe very strongly in, are embodied wholeheartedly in President Barak Obama and his wife Michelle, and I have yet to see even a glimpse of the integrity, humility, and compassion in Governor Romney. If we're using Jesus as a role model, and we should, we should be more than willing to share our wealth with the less-fortunate, feed the hungry and clothe and house the homeless and the suffering. We should treat the sick and the infirm with care and respect. And we should be focused on people, specifically loving all people, no matter what. Period. Now, which one of those candidates does that sound most like to you?

The real issue I have with this particular quote has been the root of my frustration with so many politicians in recent memory: the belief that God, acting as the all-powerful and all-knowing giant scary being that he is, has complete and direct control over everything that goes on down here.

No. Not true. And I can prove it, Biblically. 

Again, if you use Jesus as a role model, his life was all about creating an example. Did you see God come down and smite anyone while Jesus lived? Sure, its arguable that Jesus was God incarnate and that's why he didn't really appear as anything but a disembodied voice. But. There were no catastrophic floods, no mountains moving on their own, etc. That's because, as Jesus preached, it's up to us to be good to each other. It's up to man to take care of man. I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say that "God is working through" you or me or him or her or whatever. Also, heard the song that goes "I wanna be your hands, I wanna be your feet"? Same point. Furthermore, if you believe that man was given free will, which most people do, God cannot control you. My issue with this quote is that he seems to believe that men have no control over their lives or the lives of others, that everyone is a puppet in a really long, really interesting show. And yet, Christian beliefs directly contradict that idea.


2. Mitt Romney's own state- Massachusetts- elected Obama 60% to 38%. 
Massachusetts is where the "Governor" in Governor Romney came from. If this fact doesn't tell you something about him as a politician without me having to explain, your critical thinking skills are severely lacking.


3. "I'm sorry but when our empire fails...gay rights, abortion, and women's rights aren't going to matter. When we are so far into debt that another country owns us....nothing will matter and nobody will have rights. America will never agree morally on anything. But when someone is not qualified to pick this country up and people actually voted him in for anther 4 years. Don't you people see....there won't be another 4 years. Although I'm young, I work 2 jobs own a home and a car, have a serious medical condition with serious medical bills that are over my head, and barely making it...do you think anyone is going to help me ???? We need more jobs and money not more welfare and non working people taking advantage of the system. If you get it for free...why in the hell would you work for it? I could go on for days. Sorry if I offended anyone...I'm pro choice...for gay rights...and for everyone living the way they want...but as for America... we just made yet another " One Big A$$ Mistake America". My daddy is frowning down from heaven today..for sure. Thats all."

I have the following issues with this rant:
- "Empire". No. People who think of America as an empire are the same people dragging us into unnecessary wars, discounting huge sections of the population, who implemented and maintained slavery for hundreds of years, and the same people who believe things like millionaires deserve get tax breaks because it's a hard job ruling over everyone else. Like Mitt Romney. 
- "There won't be another four years." Yes, because the world is ending in December. I forgot.
- Repealing Obamacare would definitely help you with those medical bills.
- "I work two jobs" and "we need more jobs". Contradiction number one.
- "we need more jobs" "non-working people taking advantage of the system... if you get it for free why in the hell would you work for it?" Contradiction number two. (as a side note, myself and my grandmother are part of that magic 47% getting that government aid.  She medically can't work, and I work my ass off.. I had 4 jobs this summer, and I'm taking an overload of classes to finish my degree as soon as possible)
-"gay rights... and women's rights aren't going to matter." You just discounted over half the population right there. Oh, and YOU ARE A WOMAN. Hope you don't get pregnant.

4. Students in Mississippi rioting over Obama's victory:
Okay, so I did comment on this. But not directly, and not as extensively as I wanted to. People say racism is a dead issue, at least when it comes to African Americans. This article, short as it is, is proof that that is absolutely not the case. Everyone laughs when I tell stories about living in Alabama and South Carolina, thinking, "How could these people possibly exist? This is 2012! Slavery is no more, phrenology has been proven crap, and we have a black president!" I worry about the life of that black president every single day that he's in office, because these young people setting signs on fire and screaming racial slurs will be the same people to grow up and buy guns, and teach their kids that they're better than the black kids they go to school with. Have I always been thrilled with election results? Nope. But I assure you, my first reaction would never be violence. 

5. "Well might as well quit work and live on welfare like the rest of the country seems to do."
I've already pointed out a lot of my problems with this type of thinking. But, I hope she understands that a lot of those people on "welfare" are disabled, elderly, single moms (LIKE HER), veterans, etc.  OH, and the most important thing about "welfare" that most people don't realize:
http://thinkbynumbers.org/government-spending/corporate-welfare/corporate-welfare-statistics-vs-social-welfare-statistics/ Government Spends More on Corporate Welfare Subsidies than Social Welfare Programs
Yep. Most of the money for programs deemed "welfare" goes towards corporations whose CEO's are making millions. Almost twice as much, in fact. 

As a side note, for those of you who think drug testing should be mandatory for welfare recipients, I sure hope you plan to include these corporations in that too. Cause you know damn well most of the people on welfare can't afford drugs, but millionaires sure can.


6. "No matter which one of these men win the election Jesus Christ is still King of this universe and we will ALL bow to Him one day. "
This one is mostly just here for proof of what I survived while living in Alabama. And also the perfect illustration of how Christians love to ignore what's going on in this life because their next one will be sooooo much better.

7. Mitt Romney didn't prepare a concession speech.
That says everything it needs to on its own.

There probably would have been a longer list, except everyone who said something that totally offended me got deleted months ago. Much better for my blood pressure, I think.  Point is, so many of these prevailing beliefs, in the words of the New York Times after the first presidential debate, "simply aren't true".  And I for one am glad America is being represented by a president whom I believe to be the perfect representation of what a man ought to be- a man who emulates true Christian ideals, a man who believes in people no matter their background, and a man who has never been accused of anything reprehensible or corrupt in his four years as president.  

No comments:

Post a Comment